How to use Timolol
Always use Timolol exactly as your doctor has told you. You should check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
The usual starting dose is one drop of 0.25% eye drops into each affected eye(s) twice daily, approximately 12 hours apart. Your doctor will change your treatment as necessary. If you are using in combination with another eye drop medicine, wait 5-15 minutes before applying the second eyedrop.
A detailed medical examination should precede the use of Timolol. Your doctor will carefully evaluate the risks and benefits when considering treatment with Timolol. If the benefits outweigh the risks, it is recommended to use the lowest active agent concentration available once daily. With regard to the use in children, the 0, 1% active agent concentration may be sufficient to control pressure within the eye. If the pressure is not sufficiently controlled with this dosage, a twice-daily application at 12-hourly intervals may be necessary. Patients, especially newborns, should be closely observed for one to two hours after the first dose, and careful monitoring for adverse events should be carried out until surgery is performed.
Instructions for use:
(please also refer to pictograms at the end of the leaflet)
- First, wash your hands
- Avoid touching the eye (or any other surface) with the tip of the bottle
- If you wear soft contact lenses, they should be removed before using the eye drops and wait at least 15 minutes before reinserting
- These drops are supplied as a sealed bottle with a spiked cap. When using the bottle for the first time, screw the cap down tightly in order to pierce the tip of the bottle
- Tilt your head back and look at the ceiling
- Pull the lower eyelid gently downwards
- Hold the bottle upside down above the eye and gently squeeze the bottle to release a drop into your eye
- After using Timolol, press a finger into the corner of your eye, by the nose for 3 – 5 minutes. This helps to stop timolol getting into the rest of the body.
- Repeat for the other eye if necessary
- Replace and tighten the cap immediately after use.